|“||The area used to be a bustling mining village before some… strange things began to occur. Miners and citizens started to go missing in the dead of night. Others reported seeing devilish red eyes floating about the town. After a particularly horrific incident, the miners blocked off the entrance to the village from the rest of the island, so the evil could not escape. But as of late, Jolly Roger's minions have been clawing their way in. We don't expect the blockage to hold for much longer.||”|
— The TLOPO Team
Hollowed Woods is a new area in The Legend of Pirates Online located on Port Royal within King's Run. It is said to be haunted by unknown means. What used to be a bustling mining village is now a dark eerie forest accompanied by Jolly Roger's minions hibernating in the area. This area was released on October 31, 2017 packed with a brand new quest and over 50 brand new items as a big Halloween update.
Emerging from the cave entrance, you step in a village overrun by Jumbees, various undead, as well as ghosts of former residents and several new bosses. There are a few scattered run-down buildings, and a large, broken ship hull dominates the center of town. A fenced-in cemetery, a waterfall, and the mysterious Watcher's Hovel lie beyond.
Hollowed Woods is also unique in that pirates can only enter them between Halloween and New Year's Eve. The rest of the year, the entrance remains blocked.
The Hollowed Woods was founded as a village not long after the Island Destructions, the violent quakes and tumults that changes Port Royal forever. Fearing future calamity and the onslaughts of Jolly Roger's Invasions, many colonists thought it safer to move farther inland. And several of them founded the town not far beyond the King's Run. But, what they didn't know at the time was the forests were home to The Watcher, an ancient and mostly benevolent spirit. However, she did not too kindly to so many outsiders plowing up her land, chopping down her trees or mining deep into the ground she looked after.
In time, she lashed out at the villagers. Cropped withered, animals grew sick and the miners found little of value. And some of the colonists began to vacate back to the main settlements.
Not long after Captain Windshadow arrived. A mysterious man who heard word of a powerful entity living within the forest and he came seeking it's source. Though this stranger had come with a crew of Jumbees, he soon won the remaining villagers over to helping him. They erected a new Town Hall as well.
Then, they discovered new gemstone crystals could found deep in the Crystal Caverns and miners made their back to the town to seek their fortune.
But, no one knew what Windshadow was up to. He had built the Town Hall to keep people from prying as he and the Jumbee took into the Earth looking for The Watcher's shrine - the source of her power. When they weren't making fast enough progress, he performed dark voodoo rites to grow the gemstones in the cavern walls. He knew they would attract a larger workforce to aid in his efforts.
One day, the Jumbees broke through into her shrine. Windshadow had crafted his The Storm Sphere to drain the powerful energies for him to control. The Watcher's wrath and desperation to save herself was quick and merciless.
In the chaos that followed, the gypsies feared The Watcher's anger and Windshadow escaping with her power. They decided to seal off the village to prevent furhter spread of the dark magic. Then, April May ran to the mines to save the workers and try and seal off the mineshafts while Myrna managed to seal Windshadow up inside his Town Hall. Their efforts were successful but both gypsies died in the conflagration of voodoo magic and devastation.
Years later, Jolly Roger's army have found their way here and penetrated the waning magical barricades. He has resurrected Undead Skeletons from the cemetery and even the Jumbee members of Windshadow's crew. The ghosts of the townspeople still haunt here, too. They hope that someone can stop Jolly and his plan to unleash Windshadow from his prison which would add to his own power.
Beginning October 31st, pirates of any level can visit Anne Goldsilver on Port Royal to begin a brand new quest titled "A Haunting in Hollowed Woods". During this time, Anne can be found near a pile of hay bales and pumpkins across from the entrance to the jail and cemetery. Anne will start the pirate on the new quest to help her and Richard Silveredge recover their lost memories.
This quest itself involves finding clues to their identities and the secrets of Hollowed Woods, which entails fighting creatures, finding lost objects, making potions, winning hands of deadly Undead Poker and culminating in a showdown with the evil force that haunts the village.
In 2019, a new quest was added. Storms in Hollowed Woods follows an upgrade to the area which overhauled the layout of the town, added new items and enemies.
October 31st 2020, The Legend of Pirates Online added a new quest - Crystals in Hollowed Woods.
- Decrepit Shop - Located just right of the entrance, this dilapidated tavern is the home of an Undead Poker table and ghostly tailor Jonathan Fairbanks, who deals in special garb.
- Myrna and May's Gypsy Wagon - On the western side of the stream, Myrna can be found standing next to the wagon. Inside the wagon is another gypsy named April May who vends special Voodoo items.
- Crystal Mine Entrance - Up the hill from the gypsy wagon is the barricaded opening in the Crystal Caverns. Jumbee Jim can be found here, toiling away with his makeshift shovel.
- Goodprice Tattoos - Near center of town is a peculiar shop, built right into a large hollow tree. This is the home of tattoo artist Adam Goodprice and a young lass named Sally Gold.
- Hollowed Woods Town Hall - Located next to Goodprice Tattoos, this structure was once the gathering place and meeting hall for the villages. Now it serves as a make-shift prison for Captain Windshadow.
- The Wreck - Dominating the center of the Hollowed Woods is a broken ship, haunted by Jumbees. Remnants of a long lost cargo also remain on deck and in the open hold. How the ship hull arrived in the middle of a landlocked village is still a mystery.
- The Watcher's Hovel - Home to The Watcher herself. When a pirate approaches or enters this building, a strange sensation of whispers will start to occur. Inside the building is pitch black while the ghoul prowls the darkness. It can be reached from the hill on the right or traversing the water on the left.
There are a number of creatures stalking these woods; including Jolly Roger's minions and zombified former residents and ship crew.
- Bobby Bone Hoarder - Undead Pirate Boss (level 15)
- Dry Rot - Stump Boss (level 30)
- The Watcher - Ghost Boss (level 45)
- Captain Windshadow - Jumbee Boss (level 55)
- Saucepan McAshton - Jumbee Cook Boss (Level 19)
Before the "Hollowed Woods" was announced, a ghost Game Master event occurred sometime at King's Run where pirates met friendly ghosts in need of help. The GMs then mysteriously disappeared at the hands of an unknown murderer, and the event ended with TLOPO staff confirming that the event was in preparation for something big.
In an update on Friday the 13th when the Curse of the Muertos Moon was initiated, the cave itself was revealed but could not be entered. Players that tried to glitch in order to enter the cave would be stuck on a loading screen. Three new bone materials were also revealed in the Materials Pouch, which was later confirmed to be related to Hollowed Woods.
Before Hollowed Woods was officially opened, three teasers were revealed on The Legend of Pirates Online's Instagram account. On October 22, 2017, a teaser YouTube video was released.
NOTE: All permanent bosses here respawn with the same level and look every time.
- The Jumbees in Hollowed Woods are the first known ones to be subordinates of Jolly Roger instead of Blackbeard and La Schafe. It is unknown why this is the case, though it is possible that their bodies were raised before they could completely decay, allowing them to appear more human than skeletons.
- The Ghosts who inhabit the Hollowed Woods are indeed the restless spirits of the citizens of Port Royal prior to its destruction. After the old town was destroyed by the East India Trading Company, the old townspeople felt it would be safer to rebuild further inland. This would ultimately be their doom, as their excavation of the land resulted in the destruction of the Watcher's ancient shrine.
- April May's Gypsy Wagon is the first Gypsy Wagon that can be entered, allowing players to see the interior. It is surprisingly spacious on the inside.